|| UCLA's Wireless Internet for Mobile Enterprise Consortium (WINMEC) in the Henry Samueli School of Engineering is pleased to welcome you to the upcoming Mobile Carrier Forum on March 8, 2005 -- the theme for this forum is "Convergence". The Annual UCLA-WINMEC Mobile Carrier Forum will allow carriers and select suppliers to come together to discuss business and technology issues that are changing the landscape for the Mobile/Wireless Carriers.
The reduction of voice ARPU, rapid proliferation of Voice over I.P. or VoIP, and global competition is rapidly changing the way in which carriers function. New business models such as convergence of voice and data infrastructure or the packaging of wireless and wireline services, etc., are being offered. On the technology front, Wi-Max and Wi-Fi offer alternatives for mobile/wireless for data and voice. The rapid pace of change is altering the competitive landscape and creating disruptions in this industry. Convergence between different technologies could squeeze out some services, while convergence would also create a new genre of services. Suppliers and partners will present their viewpoint and have an interactive dialog with the carriers on how they could assist the carriers, and topics would include:
- VOIP – opportunity or threat for carriers
- Wi-MAX and Wi-Fi – new opportunity for carriers?
- Consumer content – Revenue sources from new class of applications such as Wireless TV, Wireless News, Mobile Gaming.
- P2P on Mobile Devices – opportunity or threat for carriers
- Enterprise opportunities from technologies as Location Based Services
- Homeland Security opportunities and Emergency Response services
- 4G – looking through the crystal ball.
- What does convergence mean to the wireless carrier
- Mobile virtual network operator (MVNO) models